Yes, You Can Deduct Your New Car Sales Tax This Year!

by Darwin on December 8, 2009

I was helping my mom buy a car last month and I came across an article on the car sales tax deduction for 2009 that I must have missed in the plethora of bailouts, TARPS, TALPS and other acronyms that I wish were never invented.  Regardless, the IRS offers some useful Q&A on what the requirements are to qualify for the deduction of sales tax for your new car purchase.  I’ve highlighted key provisions as I see them in RED.

Q. What is this new car sales tax deduction?

A. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of qualified new vehicles through 2009.

Q. What are considered to be “qualified motor vehicles” for the purpose of this deduction?

A. A qualified motor vehicle is a passenger automobile, light truck or motorcycle which has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less. A motor home is also considered a qualified motor vehicle.

Q. If I purchase a really expensive car, can I deduct the entire amount of state and local sales taxes paid on the vehicle?

A. No, only state and local sales taxes paid on up to $49,500 of the purchase price of a qualifying vehicle are deductible.

Q. Does the purchase of a used car qualify for this deduction?

A. No. In order to take the deduction, you must be the first owner of the vehicle.

Q. When can the vehicle be purchased to qualify for this deduction?

A. This deduction applies to vehicles purchased after Feb. 16, 2009 and before Jan. 1, 2010.

Q. Do I have to itemize in order to take this deduction?

A. No. Anyone who qualifies can take this deduction. You will claim this deduction when filing your 2009 federal income tax return in 2010. There will be a line on the 2009 tax forms, just follow the instructions.

Q. What about those 2008 models still sitting on the lot — can I claim the deduction if I purchase one of last year’s models?

A. Yes, you can take the deduction as long as you are the vehicle’s first owner.

Q. Are there any restrictions on who can take the deduction?

A. Yes. This deduction is phased out for higher income taxpayers. Single taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is less than $125,000 and married taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is less than $250,000 will receive the full deduction.

Q. At what income does the deduction fully phase out?

A. The amount of the deduction is phased out for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is between $125,000 and $135,000 for individual filers and between $250,000 and $260,000 for joint filers.

Q. If I purchased a qualified vehicle, may I amend my 2008 tax return to claim the deduction now?

A. No. You can only claim this deduction on your 2009 tax return.

Q. What if my state doesn’t have a sales tax?

A. Purchases made in states without a sales tax — such as Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon Ã¢â‚¬â€ can also qualify for the deduction. Taxpayers in states without a sales tax are entitled to deduct other qualifying fees or taxes imposed by the state or local government. The fees or taxes that qualify must be assessed on the purchase of the vehicle and must be based on the vehicle’s sales price or as a per unit fee.

Q. Can I take the deduction for a second or third vehicle I purchase?

A. Yes. There is no limit on the number of cars for which you can claim the deduction, provided each car is a qualified vehicle under the law.

Q. Can I take this deduction for any qualified vehicle — even those made by foreign car companies?

A. Yes. As long as it is a new car and otherwise qualifies, you may take the deduction.

While You’re Mulling Over Tax Deductions for Year End, Consider:

Source: IRS Link

TurboTax - Do your Taxes for Free - It's Easy

You're Not Following Darwin's RSS? Check out Why You Have to Subscribe to Darwin's Finance!

If you enjoyed this post, you can get free updates through RSS Feed or via Email whenever a new post is published. Rest assured that you can unsubscribe at any time via the automated system and your information will not be sold, archived or utilized for any other "nefarious" purposes.


1 mcshaun April 5, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Taxpayers who make qualifying new vehicle purchases this year can estimate the deduction with the help of IRS Publication 919, How Do I Adjust My Withholding?

2 colleen October 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Can you claim the rebate on tax in your 2012 tax?

Comments on this entry are closed.